Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Passage door update #2






All five passage doors are hung in their openings and have two coats of urethane finish on them. Another fairly large job can be, for the most part, checked off of the list.

Because of having to build the boat in two sections ( hull/ wheel house @ salon), I cannot install the ceiling in the hallway and master cabin. Because I cannot finish the ceilings, there is no point in casing the doors, so that job will wait until the boat gets to the launch site.

I purchased a mortise lock set for the master cabin bathroom door. The lock set is solid brass with a brushed nickel finish so my hope is the lock set will handle corrosion. I installed the lock set and I'm happy with how it looks and works. Installing a mortise lock set is a slow, time consuming job with very little room for error. I roughed in the mortise with a 5/8 forstner bit, then cleaned out the mortise with a chisel. I had to make a jig to hold the door plumb with my drill press, and other than cutting the mortise a 1/4" shallow, all went well. From start to finish, I had about 2 1/2 hours in installing the lock set with 1/2 of an hour consumed with building the jig for the drill press. The lock set has a dead bolt so we can lock the door from inside of our cabin. I think I'll have dead bolts on our cabin doors, and the bathroom doors, but will use lock sets without dead bolts for the other doors.

I brushed two coats of gloss urethane finish on the doors. I'm not incredibly happy with the finish and I think I'll spray the final coat of finish on the doors. No matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to brush a good finish on my work. I think my problem is I'm expecting too much out of two coats of finish. Next summer, when the boat is at the launch site and we're putting the final finish coats on everything, I'm hoping I'll get some help on getting a decent top coat on all the wood. For right now, everything is getting two coats for protection, and that's the story I'm sticking with.

The next job is to get the bathroom completed. There is really not a huge amount of work left to finish that room, and I should be able to get it off of my list in a week or so. I have to install the exhaust fan, install the ceiling, fabricate the interior trim ring for the portlight, and install the portlight.

2 comments:

  1. Conall,

    Wow... the interior is looking really nice. I envy your home grown supply of cherry wood. The cabinet shop that I worked at many many years ago did a couple of solid cherry kitchens and I always admired the warm, rich (but not too dark) tone of the wood. The walnut pegs on the doors is a really nice touch.

    I'm going to have to make some decisions soon on our interior trim wood of choice for our project so I can build electrical panel frames, etc. I was hoping a big pile of reclaimed lumber would fall into our lap, but that hasn't happened yet. There is a fair amount of salvaged redwood around Northern California, which might make a nice contrast with the clear fir & groove we are using for interior hull liner. I always liked the idea of using locally grown stuff wherever possible.

    Anyway, looks like you are on a nice roll with your interior. Look forward to seeing more.

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Peter,

    Your right, Cherry ages nice and does have that warmth that makes one want to touch it. Cherry is also nice wood to work with as it machines well and has good density.

    The home grown pile is shrinking so I'm getting ready to harvest a few trees. I need to get the trees on the ground and to my neighbor for milling so they will be dry enough by next summer. I also have 8 or 10 nice black locust logs I'm going to have milled in to 8/4 stock and use that for capping the bullwarks and the out door furniture. Black locust is a good substitute for Teak and does not rot.

    Conall

    ReplyDelete