Thursday, September 23, 2010

Home Grown


Every time I do a clearing job and have the ability to take some Cherry trees, I bring them to my neighbor, and he saws them into lumber for me. I have two stacks this size of Cherry that's been air drying in the loft of the shop for a few years , and it's time I finally get to use some of it.

If I were to guess, I'd guess that I have well over a thousand board feet stashed away in the barn. It's a good feeling to finally be able to use some of this fine lumber and get on with some finish wood working.

Even though this is not perfectly clear lumber one might find in a wood workers supply house, I do get quite a bit of interesting looking grain including curly and birds eye. I try to be keep a close eye on things when I'm pulling a piece out of the pile, but until you run it through the planer, its always a mystery how it will look once planed. I love the straight grained clear lumber, but I also love the wild crotch grain or the funky look you get from the birds eye grain. Cherry has always been my favorite wood to work with. It machines well, glues and holds a screw great, and I love how it darkens with age.

Going the rough sawn lumber route is a little more work for me, but the price is right. I love not having to head off to the lumber supply house and I for sure love the fact that I'm keeping more cash in my pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment